Happy Fourth of July, Dahlgren!
July 3, 2017
Happy Fourth of July, Dahlgren residents! Here are some fun facts about this patriotic holiday.
- While many people believe that the Declaration of Independence was signed on July 4, there were actually only two people who signed on July 4: John Hancock and Charles Thomson. secretary of Congress. The others signed on August 2.
- John Adams wanted to celebrate Independence Day on July 2, the day Congress voted for independence.
- President Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4.
- Three US presidents have died on July 4: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe. Adams and Jefferson actually both died on July 4, 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of the country they helped found.
- July 4 didn't become a federal holiday until 1870, nearly 100 years after the nation was founded.
- In 1884, miners blew up the post office in Swan, Colorado, because it wasn't supplied with fireworks.
- Americans consume around 155 million hot dogs on the Fourth of July each year.
10 unusual facts you probably didn't know about the Fourth of July [Business Insider]