National Navy Day is October 27! Some Facts About This Historic Date
October 27, 2017
Happy National Navy Day, Dahlgren! Here are some interesting facts about this annual holiday.
- Navy Day was originally sponsored by the Navy League in 1922.
- The United States Navy was originally established as the Continental navy on October 13, 1775.
- The Navy League of New York proposed that the official observance be on October 27 in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt, who was born on that day.
- In 1972 Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt authorized recognition of 13 October as the Navy’s birthday. Unlike Navy Day, the Navy's birthday is an internal activity for members of the active forces and reserves, as well as retirees, and dependents.
- Navy Day is designed to give recognition to the naval service.
The Two Navy Holidays: Navy Birthday and Navy Day [Military.com]